Another Australia Day is almost upon us. So, what does Australia Day mean to you? What are you going to do with it? Out of my discussions with people there are a whole range of options like:
- Take a four day long weekend and get away
- Attend the local parade and watch the Australia Day Awards
- Go to a fun run and get a free breakfast
- Watch the cricket all day on TV
- Fly the flag and have a b-b-q
- Mow the lawn and catch up on other jobs at home.
The fact is what it means to you will affect how you use it! Are you proud to be an Australian? then let it show! But it seems that the great Aussie spirit is not about worshipping the flag but being a good mate which can fit into any of the above IF you do it with the right attitude. So what is the right attitude? One bit of the Bible puts it in these terms:
Tell the truth
Don’t hurt your friend
Don’t blame your neighbour…
Keep your word even when it costs you
Make an honest living.
I hope you have a great Australia Day, but what is even more important is that you live each day of the year as an authentic Aussie who is a good mate because they live with the right attitude.
Chaplain Ian Whitley